Friday, September 27, 2013

Fictional Character Attachment Disorder

**SPOILER ALERT** If you are not up to date on Downton Abbey, I would recommend exiting this page right now. Don't read it. Mom, that's you. Stop reading. I mean it.

I get too attached to fictional characters. So I'm creating a real disorder. Fictional Character Attachment Disorder, or FCAD. I know I'm probably using "attachment disorder" in the wrong context, but it makes sense, doesn't it?

I can't let go of fictional characters. I just can't. I started watching the first episode of season four of Downton Abbey (it's not that shocking, people. Just look it up on the internet. You don't have to live in the UK.) and within the first thirty seconds, I was freaking out. I feel for these characters like they're real people. Most human beings get over fictional deaths very easily. Not me. I have been mourning Sibyl Crawley's death for about a year. If I lived in the 1920's, I would still be in black. That's how bad it is. This was me while I watched that episode.

Anyway, I had to stop watching the new episode because I was so sad. I went to bed instead of watching the long awaited Series four of Downton Abbey. I was literally too sad to watch it. Of course I have now completed the episode, coming out with only minor emotional injuries. I knew I had to face it, because I am so freaking addicted to it, I just knew I would cry a lot. And I did. It was hard. Freaking Mary and her fatherless child.

It's not only Downton Abbey that I cry over profusely, but lots of other things. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was horrible. I was a wreck. And due to all of the Harry Potter pages I have liked on Facebook, I get to endure Fred's death every day. Why do admins enjoy posting pictures relating to Fred's death so much? It's uncalled for.

Oh, and Les Mis wasn't fun either. Such an incredible book. That's another can of worms though. Eponine's death had me SOBBING in the theater. I was shaking and my face was covered in tears. It took a lot of strength not to make lots of awful crying noises. Fantine wasn't fun in any way either. I was only capable of not crying my eyes out during Jean Valjean's death because I knew it would suck really freaking bad. I literally had to gear myself up to watch that last scene. I situated myself so I wouldn't be prone to a fit and got ready for a storm of feelings. I was avoiding something like this:

That happened to me too much in Downton. Ugh. So many feelings. 

I added that one mainly because of Avatar. It's the best cartoon ever made. Ever.

Anyway. The point is, if you ever feel like you can't let go of characters as if they're a part of your family, you probably have FCAD like me. I don't think there's a cure to this. We can go to all kinds of doctors, but it can't be fixed. But is that a bad thing? I don't think so. I think being overly attached to fictional characters shows your ability to love people in general. My great grandma always says that "the heart doesn't divide, it multiplies". That's one of my favorite phrases ever. We don't have a limited amount of space in our hearts. We can expand our hearts by simply loving more.

So there is nothing wrong with loving characters a lot. It's just a step towards loving people a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment