Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dubstep = the Perfect Combo of Awkward and Awesome

In my previous post I ranted about how music should be real, like food should be. But we all have our guilty pleasures, don't we? Well, mine just happen to be One Direction, cats and dubstep. I'm only going to talk about dubstep though.

I think that there are three different ways to enjoy music:

1. The deep, emotional, usually depressing kind when you feel like you understand what it means, or at least    what it means to you. The words are what matter in this.

2. The kind that exactly describes the way that you're feeling. But this is referring more to the happy kinds of feelings. The sad feelings are under the first category. This is the kind of music that you revel in because you are happy with your own circumstances, but this just enhances the feelings. You can kick back, look into the sky and enjoy the moment. It prolongs something beautiful. The energy is important here.

3. The kind that enhances any moment. It kicks up the base for anything you are doing. It puts a rhythm in your movements, it makes you feel awesome. It has nothing to do with how you are feeling, because it induces feeling. You don't have to be feeling anything to listen to this. It makes your pulse a little more prominent. You become part of the music. This is the kind of music that makes vacuuming feel like being a superhero. The rhythm or bass is key.

So dubstep is part of number three. It is awesome. Even though it's not instruments, and I don't really know if you can actually call it music, I enjoy it. It makes writing this blog feel way more awesome, and that's saying something. It can't get much more awesome than this. But seriously, I love dubstep.

So I think that we have established that it is awesome. Now for the awkward part. So you know how when you are listening to an awesome song and you can't help but sing along or air guitar or dance? Well dubstep has this quality where you NEED to somehow get out this energy that keeps building as the song gets closer to the drop. But the thing is, you CAN'T sing along to dubstep. There's no letting loose and belting your favorite part. We've all tried it, I know. But "wub wub wub" will not cut it. There is so much awesome going on in a dubstep song, and there's nothing you can do to match it.

There comes a time when you are listening to a song and the awesome is building up and you have to let it out. Like when you're listening to "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons, and you have no choice but to scream the chorus, you know? Well whoever decided to make dubstep was both a genius and a moron. I've never heard music that builds so much and drops so well, and with that should come the ability to do SOMETHING that expels that energy.

So if we can't sing along, and we can't air guitar because there's no guitars, then what do we do? Dance? I don't think so. Have you ever tried to dance to dubstep? Without being some magic dance wizard that was born to move in ways that shouldn't be humanly possible, you just can't dance to dubstep. Otherwise, you look like this:

Or this:



Or this:


That's not good. Someone please solve my dilemma. I can't keep listening to dubstep and feeling trapped because I CAN'T DANCE. This is a real problem for me. I don't think this is actually that musing, but I guess the gifs are amusing, so that counts for something.

P.S. I put the gifs in before I finished writing, and I could barely handle the Honey Boo Boo one. You don't know difficult until you try to write while that face is looking at you like that. It's ridiculously distracting, and freaking hilarious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment